We have Prevention Specialist positions open. Check out the information below.
The Prevention Team has openings for Substance Abuse Prevention Specialists to serve schools in Essex County beginning in August 2021.
One position will provide short term prevention counseling for students in grades K-12 in Moriah Central School, engage with school staff and interact with parents. Requires two years’ paid experience working with youth or adults in the delivery of one-to-one counseling services.
The primary responsibility of the other positions is the delivery of evidence-based prevention curricula to students in grades K-12 in Essex County schools; may include support for student Social-Emotional Learning and building resiliency on several levels. Requires two years’ paid experience delivering educational programs to youth or adults.
Both positions require a Bachelor’s Degree in counseling, education, social work, psychology or a related field, Master’s Degree a plus. Regionally competitive salary and generous benefits, including a school year schedule, job descriptions available @ www.preventionteam.org.
Send your letter of interest and resume by mail to: The Prevention Team, 173 Lord Howe St, Ticonderoga, NY 12883 or email the same to: email@example.com
Reports to: The Executive Director
Nature of Work: The work involves a variety of duties in an alcohol, other drug abuse and problem gambling prevention program. Persons in this position perform a wide variety of tasks and activities designed to effect a lasting resistance to the abuse of drugs at the individual, school, family and community levels. The primary focus is the delivery of evidence-based programs (EBPs) and strategies proven to reduce risk factors predictive of these and other undesirable high risk behaviors, and to increase protective factors which mitigate against the same. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Executive Director, in accordance with the Prevention Guidelines of the New York State Office of Addiction Services and Supports (OASAS) and internal agency policies and procedures of Substance Abuse Prevention Team of Essex County, Inc.
Tasks/Duties: Include but are not limited to:
A. Direct services to identified populations:
• Deliver evidence-based prevention education programs to public and private school students in grades K-12.
• Meet with identified students for problem assessment, short-term counseling intervention and referral, as appropriate, to treatment services.
• Plan and present in-service workshops on a range of topics related to prevention, substance use and dependence, healthy youth development and local data analysis to school faculty, staff, parents and community groups.
• Assist school districts in the formulation of state-of-the-art substance use and gambling prevention policies.
• Understand and practice the concepts and strategies of strength-based approaches to healthy youth development.
• Other duties as assigned.
B. Support activities and services
• Along with the Executive Director, meet with school administrators, school staff and others to review programming, assessments, student survey data and anecdotal information to plan services.
• Meet directly with school staff to develop a workable teaching schedule, based upon the assessment above.
• Compile and submit appropriate reports and statistics as required by the OASAS Prevention Guidelines and by NYS OASAS Policies and Procedures for Prevention Education and Prevention Counseling, and Agency policies and procedures.
• Keep abreast of current information and prevention 'technology’ by participation in training opportunities, staff development, etc.; develop at least a working knowledge of environmental change strategies.
• Participate with other staff in assessing current services (agency-wide), planning and participating in large scale events or activities as needed.
• Keep the Executive Director abreast of current schedules and any pertinent information that may impact agency services or populations served.
• Attend scheduled agency staff meetings and related activities.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in education, psychology, counseling, social work or a related field; Master’s Degree preferred.
• Possession of a NYS CPP/CPS, a QHP certification/licensure or a permanent teaching certification is a plus.
• A minimum of two years’ experience working with youth or adults in the delivery of educational programs.
• Ability to craft a lesson or a presentation when given a clear objective; effective writing skills.
• Proven capability to interact effectively with both youth and adults, in or out of an educational setting;
• Demonstrated presentation and listening skills; ability to maintain classroom order.
• Ability to identify and communicate students’ individual strengths.
• Capacity to function as a positive role model demonstrating positive life choices and decision-making.
• Familiarity with theories of adolescent and personal development, change theory, family dynamics; working understanding of the process of addiction.
• Ability to work with a significant degree of autonomy and self-direction.
• A valid NYS Driver License and dependable vehicle
Prevention Team is in its 35th year serving Essex County residents, communities, and schools. Since our inception in 1986, we have offered prevention education and prevention counseling services to schools in Essex County.
We are the Substance Abuse Prevention Team of Essex County, Inc, known locally as The Prevention Team.